Thursday 17 May 2012

new rehearsal photos link and more

A link to some new rehearsal photos by Andy. 
Plots for books with Andy still hatching; one with Adult Social Care - hopefully-, one with Shallal - Rory helping with edit.
Our children were laughing at me using my hands so much when I was trying to explain something, and  there is a photo of me waving my hands around, as always they are a great record of how we work and all the characters who make up Shallal main co.



www.flickr.com/photos/fezparker/7202339608/in/photostream/


Currently trying to put in bids to stay alive, as ever, but some exciting things in the pipeline and The Works helping, through their support scheme, to formulate final version of bids which I am ever grateful for, not sure I'll ever finally get that skills set.  Diana frequently phones me about final drafts to check figures especially, still it emphasises the neccessity and gift of working in a good team with shared skills and talents..thank you to all who support us to keep going. 
Diana also edits my grammer and punctuation but not this blog, as you can tell......this could be called my writing practise but I have found so many mistakes on it recently... so apologies.


I spent many years waving my hands around and communicating with people through gesture and music, so am catching up on the other skills. When I first came to dance, and returned to the Arts with people, through shadowing Wolfgang, I also returned to visual art and spent happy hours doodling in my sketch book as I travelled across London on buses to dance classes. Now I have to find funding for work I have returned to writing, but it is a more difficult return as I never grasped grammer etc. And figures don't even figure as a return!


Event Square on Saturday, will those performers coming from Penwith get there on time!
The Olympic torch day feels exciting and also a great unknown as to how busy it will be, how to get around the town. Michael runs with the torch at one end of town, the performers meet an hour later at the other end of town. It should be a busy and spectacular day, and we'll have to go with the flow!


I just felt a wave of nostalgia and reflection
When I worked in centres, I had no admin to do or bid writing or justification the work spoke for itself. However the work stayed in the centres, inclusion and sharing in society wasn't possible, or very limited. My weekly evening Natural dance class was inclusive. I enjoyed my work in the main company (which was inclusive) the most and always wanted to get sessions going in the community as that is how I came to love the work in London by attending sessions at City Lit, off Drury Lane. 
We started Dance and Draw with Artshare in the community for people who moved out from Budock Hospital and that ran for some years, Annexe Arts led by other artists sprung from that and survived much longer. Danu Fox initiated the idea for Open House sessions in the community when Shallal formed as a charity in 2005, these were the first truly inclusive sessions in the community apart from the main company.
It's 7 years since Shallal became a charity, 7 years is a good time for reflection.
Over the past year or two we have collected testimonies from audiences and those we work with, people and organisations, now maybe an interesting time to hear some voices from facilitators/artists as they are often less heard and i feel this blog shouldn't have just my voice on it. We have some strong writers around now, as well as some like me who prefer other art forms, so we shall see. I'll put the invitation out there and see what comes in, and post it.


Sad news yesterday that Peter Weigand, a much loved trustee, had died recently.
Peter and  his daughter Livvy came to Open House sessions run by Colin. Later he  became a trustee, he was only with us a short time before he had to leave for health reasons, but we were very fond of him and he gave us great support, humour and encouragement. We are very grateful. Peoples lives touch so many others and only death ever really shows us that and shows clearly the good they did. One of Peter's wishes was that a proportion of the donations made in his memory should come to Shallal.


Last piece of news is that Jessie is currently creating a Shallal group facebook page, which will eventually replace our current FB. Thank you to her for this.www.facebook.com/pages/Shallal/353939281333344?ref=tn_tnmn

and .....stop press....... nice news link for next big show;
 www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Dance-theatre-company-takes-performance-outside/story-16106124-detail/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment