Monday 11 June 2012

In the moment ....more statements....

I feel like a parent showing off school reports ( by the way, i don't, and our only child at present having to attend school has, he keeps reminding me, officially left!)
Anyway here i am showing why i ask others to do the writing, and sharing the results with you.....


Working with Shallal is such an honour. A big family with a big heart, the process is always mesmerising, I laugh, I cry and laugh some more. It challenges me as an artist and I learn more from the group then they learn from me! Performances are the best - always real, in the moment, intuitive and life changing...thank you Shallal!


Barbara Santi
Director awen productions cic
0781 210 1388

www.awen.org.uk
www.barbarasanti.co.uk
http://thetreproject.wordpress.com/

Community Interest Company No. 5724118





I am a dancer within Shallal main company and other open house groups, I also see myself as a volunteer support worker within these groups. After working with Shallal regularly for a year on a voluntary basis I am now hoping to be including in projects within the community and hope to one day become a facilitator. I first found Shallal whilst doing a foundation degree in dance 6 years ago. After taking part in some sessions and spending time with Jo, I ending up writing my 1st dissertation on inclusive practice, Shallal and other inclusive dance groups. I have since then spend time within a dance conservatoire in London, completed my degree in Dance Choreography and had a daughter. 
 
I feel that, for people in Shallal, there is an overall gain in confidence and well-being, physical fitness, sensitivity, creativity, expectancy, trust, honesty, achievement and pride.
This form of performance offers members a safe, non-threatening place to grow, a place to engage with creativity and learn from each other. 
There is an acceptance of all those wanting to expand their experience whatever their ability.
  
I feel very privileged to be part of this company, and to be accepted so easily. I have found that everyone is treated the same and is expected to work to the best of their ability, as with any dance group. I remember the first time I attended a Shallal session with the main company, and I wasn’t expecting the level of professionalism that was evident. I knew the facilitators and staff would be of a high standard, because of their reputations but was struck by the commitment of the members to the moment. I felt the group entered into the experience completely, holding nothing back, the atmosphere was tangible. 
Shallal has helped me see that dance is far more in enjoyable, more progressive and more interesting if you allow the mind to speak with the body. What has occurred to me is that one can dance to the best of their ability to share and develop their own style and direction and movement vocabulary.  
 
I am a dancer.  I believe that we learn by practice.  Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living.... In each it is the performance of a dedicated precise set of acts, physical or intellectual, from which comes shape of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit.’  (Graham, c.1953)

Jessica Webb
Independent Dance Artist
07886 945168 

So what i wanted to pull out of these was "in the moment" i struggle sometimes to analyse,verbalise, differentiate the quality of atmosphere in the main company from all the other groups, there is never a shortage of talent if people take to the work, but there is a quality easier to access in the main co and it draws people in.
"was struck by the commitment of the members to the moment. I felt the group entered into the experience completely, holding nothing back, the atmosphere was tangible."  Jessie
"always real, in the moment," Barbara

I have, like every artist, an ongoing dialogue, questions with my work, and this one about the main company has been one of them recently especially with the high quality of work in the other groups i work in. I know if i walk into the main company i will get commitment, focus, laughter...trust is a main thing, and the holding nothing back! is what they give. By the time people get to the main company you are not encouraging them out of their shell.

So; great meeting with Terry ( Terry Stanton our enthuiastic and supportive chair person) again analogies of talking to someone who is genuinely interested and cares about your children, ( lots of children creeping in here, Mary is 18 this summer , John 16 ...they are both in exam season! ) by this though we are back to Shallal as extended family!  We drew some pictograms of Shallal; with the main co as the heart of the flower and all the other groups as petals from it, with a triangle for potential new project next year and Terry offered good advice, we planned some strategies and talked of Garden parties!

Debs and i, with support beforehand, pushed through this w/e so that she has sent off an application form. We will have regular meetings till summmer holidays to keep everything boiling. The dreaded timelines all converge at this time..but we are getting to, "know the territory" and working with the "weather" conditions.

So many wonderful photos, i need to have a good sort through and post more but, time is against me now so just a few to keep them coming and you can see more on.... gallery.me.com/andyparker5#100620&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=288

The finish of the Farewell dance with Rory and Marjorie, Debs and Trevor and Katherine and Duane.

2 Sunsets, now with Skye in the arch



    

No comments:

Post a Comment